The display at Niewand's own wedding, organised by Mister Milford.
The gay Wedding Weekend is replacing the Wedding Day
Mister Milford on the latest trends for grooms
Words: Damien Woolnough
22th August 2018
With a proven track record enlivening corporate events, gala dinners and conferences, Niewand understands that the details count, especially when it comes to weddings.
Mister Milford events director Adam Niewand.
Why are more people turning to events companies for weddings?
"As the idea of traditional weddings evolves we are seeing that couples want a unique experience and something out of the ordinary. From the ceremony wording itself, to the theming of the reception, couples don’t want the cookie-cutter wedding plan any more. They want someone to listen to them, work with them on their vision and bring it to life."
What are you able to offer for a wedding?
"Mister Milford offers couples an edge for their wedding day. We live and breathe events and we love weddings. Working with couples to create unique experiences that reflect who they are is such a thrill, and we’re able to bring all our event experience and amazing suppliers to tap in to resources that make for a truly remarkable day.
"For same sex couples, it’s so important that they feel supported and comfortable for the entire experience. We ensure that all suppliers we work with are the most appropriate for our clients to guarantee the perfect day.
"We know that this is the most special day for our couples starting their married lives together and we make the whole process stress free, exciting and fun."
"For same sex couples, it’s so important that they feel supported and comfortable for the entire experience."
A space transformed by Mister Milford.
What are the latest wedding trends?
Bespoke is a word that is thrown around a lot, however, this is the trend we are seeing in 2018. Couples want a truly tailored experience that offers their guests something they would not have seen before.
"Venues are becoming more varied, with a lot of couples going for an industrial look or open plan warehouse, starting with a blank canvas to create their own feel. This also means you have options to bring in your own suppliers like a caterer, or your own wine and are not obliged to go with the venues in-house offering.
"There is definitely a trend towards producing a creative menu that challenges the norm, taking a different approach to the standard sit down reception.
"The other big trend is planning a Wedding Weekend rather than just a Wedding Day and not just for destination weddings."
The rooftop of Sydney's MCA.
"The other big trend is planning a Wedding Weekend rather than just a Wedding Day and not just for destination weddings. Couples don’t want just the one day to spend with loved ones who have travelled from far and wide. They want to make the most of the time they have with everyone by having a post-wedding function the next day.
What is the most important part of the wedding for you?
If you are involved in writing the ceremony and give good guidance to the wedding party for the speeches, these are the most cherished memory and they can make or break a wedding. In terms of overall event, the most important part is the food and beverage. All guests should be fed and watered at all times.
Bespoke canapés for a darker-themed event.
Having recently been married do you have any tips or advice?
- Start with the end in mind. What do you want it to look like, how do you want it to feel, what kind of event do you enjoy being at?
- Establish from the get go what you are willing to compromise and what are your must haves.
- Be aware of all of the extra costs. You buy something here, add something there and it quickly bulks up your final budget.
- I personally think that a wedding should be all about the guest experience. Think about how your guests will feel at any point through the day and make sure they are always looked after.
- Book in recurring wedding meetings with your partner. It may sound strange, but if you put aside time in advance, it means that you won't constantly be talking about wedding plans. Sometimes that can be overwhelming. You can make notes, have action items and then time to research and decide on them for your next wedding meeting.
A flower wall for a corporate client.